platelminto's Staff Application

Discussion in 'Staff Applications' started by platelminto, Jun 18, 2017.

1. platelminto

platelminto New Member

lol

Personal Info
    IGN: platelminto

Prior Experience
    I played for roughly a year on the (now shut down) Savage Realms server, a couple years ago. After many months of playing, meeting new people, and learning most of the commands & quirks of the server, I decided to apply for Helper (as there were no anti-grief rules & scamming was allowed, this rank just meant that you could be trusted, you will try and help others, and are there whenever someone needs you). Unfortunately, before the promotion was going to be official (it was a very large server, so there was procedure for basically everything), I realised I was completely burning out, playing way too much - so I quit. The months where I was helping though, and trying to adhere to the 'Helper guidelines', I learned a great deal about what a staff member should be - available, friendly, knowledgeable, able to solve problems if a solution isn't already known. Even though I never got promoted, those months were very fun and I realised that I really enjoyed helping people, and with or without a rank I'd always strive to make other players' experiences as fun as mine, on any server.

After a few months of taking a break, I joined a server that a few staff members from Savage Realms had created - Civil Realms (they weren't too creative with the name.). There, along with a few other players, I helped the Owners set-up everything during the server's beta phase, giving feedback along the way, and after the launch we'd always be on TeamSpeak generally messing around, but helping out whenever they needed something tested. At this point, I was playing a more 'normal' amount every day, but still enough to be part of the community that had been forming; once they started taking staff applications, I applied, and quickly went from Helper to Chat Moderator to Moderator (a rank roughly between Mod & Admin on Evisea, permission wise). I kept being active as a Moderator, opening events every once in a while, helping out new players, etc. It was plenty fun, and the server was seeing very healthy growth, but after some Owner inactivity for a months at a time, and with some other staff members leaving, the server started dying. The rest of the staff team & I tried to keep new players, being helpful & adding some minigames; without the Owners though, it was hard for it to work well. After a few months, the announcement finally came, and the server shut down.

In the 2 year break I took after Civil Realms, I learned programming (and picked a career path, yay), in particular taking a liking to Java. I remembered that Minecraft plugins were made in Java, so I dabbled in spigot-plugin making, and had a blast learning how to interact with the mc world through programming. Became a head developer on a server that *should* open by the end of the year, so I've gotten decently good at communicating with others clearly and plugin installing/configuring/making. Not sure this counts as 'Prior Experience', but alas, here it is.

Motivation
    I like helping people. When I try out a new server, and find myself confused & with no one to help, I get frustrated - no matter how fun the server could've been, if this happens, I am very likely going to log off and find something else. I'm now not confused, and know enough commands on the server to play well, but this confusion can (and does) still afflict others - I try and avoid that. I believe that, if a new player tries to engage in conversation, and you reply and talk to them in a friendly manner, they will already feel part of the community somewhat, and feel motivated to keep playing & stay on the server. If I'm online, and not messing around on Discord without even looking at the chat, I always try and do this, and always will, regardless of a rank or not. With Moderator, though, I'd always look at the chat and try and make the experience for everyone as enjoyable as possible. Additionally, there's been times where a spammer would log on, and make the chat toxic/spammy, and would continue as no staff was on - this was always quickly fixed, but not as quickly as it could've been, and as an EU player I can be on at times where US-based players are still unconscious.

Experience wise, I know the basics of nearly all plugins the server has, and know commands related to the economy (shops, auctions, etc.) quite well, as well as mcmmo & Evisea's rank system (with its bugs...). I've also gotten quite good at finding the information that people need without actually knowing it myself - no one remembers every single command, obviously, but if you know how to search right, you don't need to.

Essentially, I love this server - after a 2-year long period where I didn't really enjoy minecraft, this server sparked my interest in it again and now I play every day. I also love helping people, and being part of the staff team in any way will help me do this better. I'll still help anyone who requires attention, with a staff rank or not, but I'm applying because I can help people further, and sometimes in more useful ways!

I don't expect to be promoted any time soon, but I'm leaving my application here because, with the server reset coming, it'd fit well, and because:

"
    It can take 1 week from you posted your application, or it can take 3 months."

And I just want to show my interest in becoming part of Evisea's staff team. Thanks for reading!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Collin

Collin Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Lacks passion and excitement. Where are the fighter jets being flown by Hans Gruber clones through a sharknado? Come on, Platel.

• BibleThump BibleThump x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Mike

Mike Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Good evening Platel!

I enjoyed reading your application, it was well structured and there were some nice details!

I'll consider you as a staff member, only if you buy me a plane ticket to Italy :D

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. platelminto

platelminto New Member

Damn the staff team is hard to please, this is gonna be harder than I thought...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Cole

Cole Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hi, Platel,

Glad to see you're interested in becoming a member of the staff team. Speaking from personal experience, I can say that you appear to be quite genuine when it comes to your willingness to assist other players on the server. You're knowledgeable on many of the topics one encounters on Evisea, and while you aren't familiar with all the ins-and-outs of the server, I feel as if you'd be one to learn quickly. I don't believe I have had many disciplinary issues with you, perhaps a mere single occasion? As I previously stated, I believe you are genuine.

Thanks for applying. We'll contact you again towards the reset when we are switching up the staff team a bit.

6. platelminto

platelminto New Member

I probably should've mentioned this earlier, but considering few players were online in the week coming up to the reset, thought it wouldn't be that useful to say: I've been on vacation since the 24th of June, and will only be able to come back on from the 6th of July.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback Cole, I appreciate it! (much more useful than Collin.)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Cole

Cole Administrator Staff Member Administrator

See you on the 6th!

8. platelminto

platelminto New Member

Question: this was never denied or accepted, but didn't make it last staff-promotion-time. Is it still open for consideration, or do I have to submit a new one (I've seen a lot of players do this); the app wouldn't really change much if it did, so I'm unsure on what I have to do (seems kindaaaa redundant to resubmit).

9. Mike

Mike Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Thats the joy of submitting a Staff Application :)
    You just gotta wait and see what happens :cool:

10. ModMCdl

ModMCdl Member

At least yours got A response

11. Flux

Flux Administrator Staff Member Administrator

That's because platel's has a chance.

Just kidding... or am I?

Nah, I am. You'll hear back soon enough.

12. ModMCdl

ModMCdl Member

Oh wonderful.

13. Snoopy384

Snoopy384 New Member

??? Illuminati Confirmed

14. Robo

Robo Member

Gamer
    Yup!